Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Prayer Warriors Needed {for Riley}

Dear Friends,

This is an open letter to you all begging for your thoughts and prayers for my sweet nephew Riley over the next few days, weeks and months to come. This morning my sister called with the news of finding a neck fracture from an x-ray. Currently we are waiting for an appointment time today for a CATscan to learn more details and a future plan of action. Unfortunately, that is all we know at the moment and somehow that is enough- already we see God's hand over Riley as the x-ray that revealed the fracture was done on a complete whim from the doctor and good friend of the family. There was absolutely no hint or suspicion, Riley simply was in for a sports physical appointment and the doctor was running an x-ray on her own son and decided to run one on Riley as well... There has been no pain, injury in his neck or anything that would have raised any even minor need for an x-ray.

As a family, the events of last year with Adam's seizure which revealed his brain tumor, his surgery and even now through his physical therapy recovery; we know that God has been with us all every step of the way- carrying us much of the time through the most agonizingly fearful moments. Moments where I personally had absolutely nothing else to lean on but my faith in His love, promises and the sacrifice that He had already made for us. It was through that faith and the dedicated prayers or friends, family and complete strangers that was and is still with us now.

That same faith is leading us as we embark on this new path with Riley and God's plan for him. Please lift him up in prayer today and the days to come as we learn and share more details about the situation with his mysterious neck injury. He is an extremely active young man with a love for all sports, especially football and baseball. Riley recently celebrated his 9th birthday and has a heart of gold. Just a couple weeks ago he was sharing with me how excited he was that the boys won their VBS battle with the girls over who could raise more money for the missionaries to share with people all over the world about Jesus. He and his sister Reese along with my sister and brother-in-law have instilled in our kids that dinner does not start until after we have said the prayer together holding hands- even our little KK who is 2yrs old reaches out her hands and shouts A-men when it's all finished. The kids lead the prayer and it's been instrumental in teaching them to grow their very own faith and relationship with Jesus. My sister, April was my rock and constant supporter while our family was going through everything with Adam last year and I am determined to be there for her in every way now.

Even at this hour we are waiting on the first available time for a CATscan appointment today. All we really know is that the location of the fracture in his neck is of grave concern and more information is needed to plan surgical options. As a mother of two very active and physical boys I have been thanking God over and over that this was caught now as it appears as something as simple as turning his head with the swing of a bat could result in life threatening injuries- wrestling, rough housing and doing things that all nine year old boys do withstanding- right now it's like walking on egg shells while waiting, waiting, waiting to learn more.

While we wait, we will be praying and would be eternally grateful for those of you who could also join us in praying for Riley today. Thank you so much and I will be sure to share any news we get as it comes.

xoxo- We love you Riley!




In writing this, I thought that I would also share my devotional today about staying calmly conscious in Jesus- knowing that He goes before us, preparing the way. I think the timing and reflection of these verses could not have been better. These will be repeated in my prayers throughout today :)

Psalm 23: 1-4
The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside still waters. He restores my soul; He leads me in the path of righteousness for His name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for You are with me: Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.


2 Corinthians 4:16-17
Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all.


Here are some more pictures of Riley and his family along with our Georgia crew of cousins...

Riley's amazing family- always having a good time outdoors!

The cousins at Easter (missing Ace, Maddox, Colby & Olivia)

And... Riley just being Riley :)

No comments:

Post a Comment