Monday, December 5, 2011

Mommy Mondays {Surgery Scheduled}

It's been a few weeks since our last update for Adam and there's been so much that has been going on- Thanksgiving was wonderful and a nice break out of the normal day to day reality. Christmas lights shine bright outside, the tree is up and stockings hang on the mantle. Now we stand just one week out from Adam's surgery at Duke.

After speaking to 5 neurosurgeons, 3 of the 5 had the confidence in surgery. Adam has decided to go to Duke and have the surgery on December 12th. We will arrive early for all the pre-op procedures and most likely be there the remainder of the week. The overall recovery time is estimated between 6-8 weeks. So hopefully we will have a very relaxing Christmas and New Years.

We are so thankful for the constant encouragement and peace God lays on our hearts and sends our way through family and friends. Looking back through the stages of fear, overwhelming emotion, and the bitter education on something that I wished with every part of me was not a part of our lives I see all along God's gentle hand leading us to hope.

Despite the thousands of surgeon options around the nation one had always stuck out to us and from day one impressed Adam and I with their response time, kindness, commitment and compassion. Through appointments and even our week away for surgery lining up care for the kids has been easy, with so many willing and eager to help in any way. Each day was like a roller coaster of emotions- some good days, some bad days. And without fail it seemed the bad days were limited to only a few frail hours of worry and fear because God would find a way through our devotions, bible verses, a note from a friend or text from family to remind us that He IS with us. It's so humbling to feel so powerless in the eye of the storm but so unbelievably peaceful when we remind ourselves who is carrying us through.

Here's just a few verses from our ever growing collection that I have found constant relief from. Over these past few months I have truly learned the powerful meaning behind the declaration of Philippians 4:13, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Purely and simply because it IS NOT by my own strength.

My soul is weary with sorrow; strengthen me according to your word. - Psalm 119:28

And He has said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness ” Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me. - Romans 4:16

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. - Isaiah 40:31

So do not fear for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. - Isaiah 41:10

Thank you again to everyone who has been and is continuing to pray. We will continue to share updates and would love for you all to band together with us on Monday the 12th and the week that follows Adam's surgery. We are praying for a smooth surgery, wisdom and clarity for the surgeons and rest and healing for Adam.

No comments:

Post a Comment